Hey all from Gospel Odyssey, especially Team 1. Some of you have asked me to put a “fall semester/quarter reading list” together that may be helpful to you in your gospel adventures on campus this year. I have listed them is various categories that may be helpful to you.
“If I Were Only to Read A Couple Books” Reads:
These two books will give you an excellent view into the postmodern &/or post-Christian mentality that exists in many places (especially campus life) today in the US & Canada. They both show how people are thinking, where the logical inconsistencies are located in that thinking, and address ways of handling those thoughts from a logical & biblical point of reference.
Highly Recommended Reads:
These books will give further insight into the workings of people’s minds. I have listed them in an order that I would read them. I placed Welcoming on this list because homosexuality is such a hot topic that it is good to know ways of handling it without compromising the Bible and yet without coming across as a “hater”.
- Can Man Live Without God by Ravi Zacharias
- Welcoming But Not Affirming by Stanley Grenz
- Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
- Choosing Your Faith by Mark Mittelberg
- The Case for the Real Jesus by Lee Strobel
These books will give you a good background into the statistics of the religious backdrop of America today and why it is important to understand this trend of thinking. They will also provide some answers to some provocative and “hard” questions you may face in the gospel.
- UnChristian by David Kinnaman
- Share Jesus Without Fear by William Fay
- Who Made God by Ravi Zacharias & Norman Geisler
- Beyond Opinion by Ravi Zacharias
These came at the request of some who desired a couple different scientific views of the creation of the universe that don’t conflict with the Bible. I have also thrown in a book by John Myer which I highly recommend as a shepherding tool, especially for those new in the faith. For those who have read John’s book already I also added in a book by J.I. Packer.
- The Language of God by Francis Collins
- God’s Universe by Owen Gingerich
- Solid by John Myer
- Knowing God by J.I. Packer